View Poll Results: Under My Skin Campaign: Who has the best Argument?

Voters
948252931303070. You may not vote on this poll
  • Elizayne

9,876,456,654,671 1.04%
  • how does it feel

938,376,474,648,399 98.96%
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Posts 1 to 12 of 71

Thread: Under My Skin Campaign: Voting

1. Post #1
    Administrator
    The guilty part is yours for keeping. It's the opposite of love, all things decay and burst.

Admin
    LΞW!S has a reputation beyond repute LΞW!S has a reputation beyond repute LΞW!S has a reputation beyond repute LΞW!S has a reputation beyond repute LΞW!S has a reputation beyond repute LΞW!S has a reputation beyond repute LΞW!S has a reputation beyond repute LΞW!S has a reputation beyond repute LΞW!S has a reputation beyond repute LΞW!S has a reputation beyond repute LΞW!S has a reputation beyond repute LΞW!S's Avatar
    Twitter
    Threads
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,501 Times in 3,248 Posts

Under My Skin Campaign: Voting

Share to Facebook

Under My Skin Campaign: Face-Off

Candidates:

Elizayne
    How Does it Feel

What Members Should be Voting on;

Members should vote on which argument is best written. You should not be voting on which argument you agree with, but on which candidate wrote the best assignment. You should look at the following;

- Grammar
    - Structure
    - Presentation
    - Intelligence/Wit/Humour

Elizayne

Following Avril Lavigne’s headstrong debut album ‘Let Go’ fans have been left depressed and flat with her second album ‘Under My Skin’. Almost as depressed and flat as her vocals; which range from drained and dull to pathetic and painful.

Her first album ‘Let Go’ showed us some expressive and energetic vocals from the likes of ‘Sk8r Boi’ and 'complicated', where she showed how colourful and powerful she and her vocals were. However the follow up album of ‘Under My Skin’ might as well be thrown in the trash as Lavigne’s vocals throughout the album make you want to almost cry with boredom, just about every track has the same droning vocals and there appears to be little or even no energy in her vocals! – Maybe she got bored of her new found fame and decided to bore her fans to death? If that’s the plan, then it would seem that she is succeeding…

Although some people would claim that the music produced from ‘Under My Skin’ is in their opinion “decent”, I would bet they haven’t really looked at her vocals and I would bet they haven't really noticed her non-existent energy levels throughout the entire album. It can be shown that she is hiding behind the strong instrumentals to cover up in the vocal department as she hasn't got enough zing in her vocals to make the tracks even remotely interesting without the help of a strong backing track. According to The Guardian’s Alexis Petridis the album is a “flesh eating virus” as “the music is so anodyne (pain-killing) that you don’t pay much attention to Lavigne. This proves to be a small mercy”. When listening to an acapella (vocals with no instrumental) you can clearly see what Petridis is saying, as her voice remains a similar level throughout each track, but the instrumentals appear to make her album seem more exciting that what it really is! Which goes to show that you don’t need a exceptional voice to be successful, you simply need a strong instrumental that will cover up your lack of vocals! - Point proven through Avril's example in this album.

It probably doesn’t help that tracks such as ‘How Does It Feel’ repeat the same lyrics over and over making her vocals go… well… over and over… so now not only does the listener suffer from her dull vocals but now they have to listen to those same dragging vocals in repetition?! Clearly ‘Under My Skin’ is a vocal disaster.

The whole album is just a weak drone of moaning and whining from Lavigne who strops that she never gets her happy ending, well maybe if she sang a with a bit more cheer and ambition she wouldn’t feel quite so low. The fact that she keeps up this boring and repetitive sound throughout the whole album is probably the only reason that she is popular among moody teenagers.

As I have clearly shown you from my argument the album ‘Under My Skin’ lacks in vocals and its actually just the ‘edgy’ music that picks up the money-making sound. The vocals are clearly weak and lacklustre without the backing music.

how does it feel

Hey everyone,

This is so exciting to be being considered as a Moderator for Avril Bandaids. I hope you will be able to read through my argument and consider me as your new moderator. It's been a really exciting experience and I'm so thankful to be being considered.

Thanks!

Avril Lavigne's vocal performance on 'Under My Skin' appears weak and lacklustre.
    by how does it feel (Sam)

I'll be arguing against this point.

On 'Under My Skin', Avril Lavigne's vocal performance is anything but lacklustre. On this album, Avril is able to demonstrate an extremely wide range of vocal ability. Firstly, we must take into account how diverse Avril's vocal's are on this record. For example, she demonstrates more rock-like and raw vocals on tracks such as 'Take Me Away', and 'Forgotten'. She then displays more ethereal/gentle vocal's on Ballad's such as 'How Does It Feel' and 'Slipped Away', and finally; more Pop-like vocals on tracks such as 'Don't Tell Me' and 'He Wasn't'. 'Under My Skin' has been described as "Rock", "Pop" and "Post Grunge", any artist who is able to comfortably sing in these musical genres, as Avril does, must be a competent vocalist. Sanneh of "Rolling Stone" Magazine said this about her vocals:- "Whether it's a fit of faux punk or a maudlin ballad, she sings it all absolutely straight". This proves my point about the amount of diversity in Avril's vocals, and how she is able to excell in many different genres.

Secondly, Avril's vocals are very underproduced and organic, somthing that made 'Goodbye Lullaby' so attractive. Her vocals don't show many signs of being produced or autotuned, something 'Let Go' and 'The Best Damn Thing' are often critisized for. If you listen to tracks such as 'Nobody's Home' and 'Fall To Pieces', you can clearly hear how underproduced Avril's vocals are. The only additional editing and producing appears only when there's added harmonies or when sometimes vocals lap over (Like the end of 'Forgotten').

Most importantly, we need to acknowledge the fact that Avril Lavigne's performance on 'Under My Skin' has been compared to the likes of Amy Lee and Alanis Morissette, both of whom are strong female singers who are often noted for their singing abilities. For Avril to be compared to such artists, shows that she is certainly taken seriously as a vocalist on 'Under My Skin', and she is defiantly at the same level as her contemporaries. I also need to point out Avril's range on the album. For example, 'Forgotten' is a dark song set within the key of C Minor, then you have 'He Wasn't', which is set in the bright key of D. Avril uses different keys throughout the album, which makes the album interesting, not lacklustre; as it shows Avril was creative with her voice on the album, and she felt competent enough vocally to pull it off.

In conclusion, I disagree with calling the vocals on 'Under My Skin' lacklustre. Avril's voice is powerful throughout and belts some really impressive notes (note of the end of 'Take Me Away', and the bridge of 'My Happy Ending'). Her voice is organic and underproduced; which like I stated earlier, shows Avril is a natural singer who doesn't rely on auto=tune. 'Under My Skin' is anything but lackluster, Avril's voice is strong and through the use of different keys and textures, Avril is able to show her voice off in many different genres and sounds and convey a wide array of emotions through her voice.

Thanks so much for reading!

The voting will remain anonymous.

Good luck contestants,

Bandaids Staff

2. Post #2
    Junior Administrator; Magazine Chief Editor
    I trust everybody; It's the devil inside I don't trust

Admin
    Elizayne is just really nice Elizayne is just really nice Elizayne is just really nice Elizayne is just really nice Elizayne is just really nice Elizayne is just really nice Elizayne is just really nice Elizayne is just really nice Elizayne is just really nice Elizayne is just really nice Elizayne is just really nice Elizayne's Avatar
    Real Name
    Liz
    Twitter
    Threads
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,707 Times in 2,013 Posts

ahaha wth? xD

18th June ~ 21st July

3. Thanks from 3 members:  Dylan, TheBestDamnJoe, TheCraziestFun

4. Post #3
    Administrator
    The guilty part is yours for keeping. It's the opposite of love, all things decay and burst.

Admin
    LΞW!S has a reputation beyond repute LΞW!S has a reputation beyond repute LΞW!S has a reputation beyond repute LΞW!S has a reputation beyond repute LΞW!S has a reputation beyond repute LΞW!S has a reputation beyond repute LΞW!S has a reputation beyond repute LΞW!S has a reputation beyond repute LΞW!S has a reputation beyond repute LΞW!S has a reputation beyond repute LΞW!S has a reputation beyond repute LΞW!S's Avatar
    Twitter
    Threads
    Thanks

This is to 'hide' the 'real' results. You'll only know you've won/lost when I announce it!

5. Thanks from 2 members:  Jack, lilrobomonster

6. Post #4

Admin
    Elizayne is just really nice Elizayne is just really nice Elizayne is just really nice Elizayne is just really nice Elizayne is just really nice Elizayne is just really nice Elizayne is just really nice Elizayne is just really nice Elizayne is just really nice Elizayne is just really nice Elizayne is just really nice Elizayne's Avatar
    Real Name
    Liz
    Twitter
    Threads
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by -Lewymocha- To view the link you have to Register
    This is to 'hide' the 'real' results. You'll only know you've won/lost when I announce it!
    ah i see what ur doing :P i was like woah that many people EXIST? :P

18th June ~ 21st July

7. Thanks from 1 members:  beachdan66

8. Post #5
    Banned
    Understand that I can't not be what I am

starnote has a brilliant future starnote has a brilliant future starnote has a brilliant future starnote has a brilliant future starnote has a brilliant future starnote has a brilliant future starnote has a brilliant future starnote has a brilliant future starnote has a brilliant future starnote has a brilliant future starnote has a brilliant future
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Twitter
    Threads
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,203 Times in 2,594 Posts

Voted.

Quote Originally Posted by Elizayne To view the link you have to Register

ahaha wth? xD
    Staff does that with the Avril Bandaids Awards, too. It's the fair way to do it.

9. Post #6
    Sweet sweet nostalgia...

Banz is on a distinguished road Banz is on a distinguished road Banz is on a distinguished road Banz is on a distinguished road Banz is on a distinguished road Banz is on a distinguished road Banz is on a distinguished road Banz is on a distinguished road Banz is on a distinguished road Banz is on a distinguished road Banz is on a distinguished road Banz's Avatar
    Threads
    Thanks
    - Grammer

Grammar

10. Post #7
    Administrator; Official Avril Bandaids Blogger
    (WorldOfAvril)

Admin
    marliz. has a spectacular aura about marliz. has a spectacular aura about marliz. has a spectacular aura about marliz. has a spectacular aura about marliz. has a spectacular aura about marliz. has a spectacular aura about marliz. has a spectacular aura about marliz. has a spectacular aura about marliz. has a spectacular aura about marliz. has a spectacular aura about marliz. has a spectacular aura about marliz.'s Avatar
    Threads
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,298 Times in 2,321 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Banz To view the link you have to Register
    Grammar
    LOL.

11. Post #8
    Avril Bandaids Resident
    Life's like this

iAmTeffi is on a distinguished road iAmTeffi is on a distinguished road iAmTeffi is on a distinguished road iAmTeffi is on a distinguished road iAmTeffi is on a distinguished road iAmTeffi is on a distinguished road iAmTeffi is on a distinguished road iAmTeffi is on a distinguished road iAmTeffi is on a distinguished road iAmTeffi is on a distinguished road iAmTeffi is on a distinguished road iAmTeffi's Avatar
    Twitter
    Threads
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 888 Posts
    Hard to vote (xx_) Both are very well said in 2 different manner. I'm still weighing it in.

and oh. I think we should also put into much consideration the "points of argument" in choosing who to vote

12. Post #9
    Administrator

Admin
    Twitter
    Threads
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Banz To view the link you have to Register
    Grammar
    Oop. I always make that mistake

13. Post #10
    Super Moderator
    mmm

Mod+Supporter
    Jululps is a glorious beacon of light Jululps is a glorious beacon of light Jululps is a glorious beacon of light Jululps is a glorious beacon of light Jululps is a glorious beacon of light Jululps is a glorious beacon of light Jululps is a glorious beacon of light Jululps is a glorious beacon of light Jululps is a glorious beacon of light Jululps is a glorious beacon of light Jululps is a glorious beacon of light Jululps's Avatar
    Twitter
    Threads
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,032 Times in 1,818 Posts

Oop. I always make that mistake
    Demotion?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bchip Go To Quoted Post ›
    "You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet"
    WRITERS: LA Reid, Scott Seviour, Avril Lavigne
    twitter tumblr last.fm

14. Thanks from 3 members:  Ashique, Devon, Dylan

15. Post #11
    Administrator
    Toronto, ON

Admin
    Devon is a glorious beacon of light Devon is a glorious beacon of light Devon is a glorious beacon of light Devon is a glorious beacon of light Devon is a glorious beacon of light Devon is a glorious beacon of light Devon is a glorious beacon of light Devon is a glorious beacon of light Devon is a glorious beacon of light Devon is a glorious beacon of light Devon is a glorious beacon of light Devon's Avatar
    Real Name
    Devon
    Threads
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,852 Times in 3,838 Posts

Agh, this is SO HARD to choose! I will need more time to review the essays!

16. Post #12

Admin
    Real Name
    Liz
    Twitter
    Threads
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Devon To view the link you have to Register
    Agh, this is SO HARD to choose! I will need more time to review the essays!
    *hypnotises*

ahaha

18th June ~ 21st July

17. Thanks from 2 members:  Ashique, Devon

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast